Heart Of The Tree – Moving on

As the project moves forward into the next pharse, my part is done. The team I’ve worked with have been really good and had a good laugh along the way but as my other project begin to build up, I have to change my focus. Hopefully I can make some free time and do some animation.

Advertisements

Deep – Designing Medusa

Deep is a project about celebrity traditional film by using different characters and style over the era’s and mash together. The story is about the after events of Perseus slays Medusa and uses her head as a weapon but this twist in tails of Perseus on the run from 40/50’s style gangsters, with medusa’s head in a bowling bag. While on the run Perseus meets Caroline, who eventually falls in love with.
As you can tell but the story line, there’s a lot of different era’s expanding across the film. So the film will have a lot of different styles blending into together and some experimental transitions. The format in which this project will be using will be using live action, 3d animation, 2d animation and visual effects.
My role on this project is creating concepts character design and model of medusa skeleton remains for the title sequence.  I started out collecting images of human skeleton structure and snake skeleton to form a cut out concept of medusa skeleton form. I did this to aid me in the design but also to quickly form the idea before drawing out the concept. It was interesting in forming a this image as I had to think about ‘what would a skeleton version of medusa look like?’ and how would it look if you wrap the skeleton with a skin.
 

With this done, I started to use this as a template and drawn out some concept ideas and break down the each part for modeling reference; these will be used to model out each part in Maya, which will be the next step.
 

My New Blog and Introduction

Welcome to my new blog. I’ve decided to ditch blogger and come across to here. Consider this a fresh start in blogging my work. I’m in the middle of transferring my post from blogger to here and cleaning it up, so please excuse the mess.

For any readers who aren’t aware, I’m currently 2nd year student studying Digital Animation (Soon to change to Animation and Visual Effects) at Falmouth University.

I’ll be showcasing most of my work in animation, rigging, modeling and design. My aim for this is not just to promote myself but to share tips and advise to anyone starting out in 3D animation field. Also from time to time, I do post other stuff just to show my personality.

 

Enjoy 🙂

Funny 15 Second – Part Two

Following on my previous post, I will talk about the production of the funny 15-second project but also how I made my scenes. If you miss my previous post then click here.
With the pre-production done and set, we split the workload between us. I would be creating the news room and whale scenes and animating them. I started to gather a series of images and cut them up in Photoshop and apply different colours to give it that wacky look.
The Whale
I wanted the audience to be slightly shock but not too much to take away the laughter. So for the whale I decide to use a fat lady sunbathing with a cocktail, enjoying herself. My first problem was the time of year….. It’s bloody cold! So I wasn’t going to find anyone on the beach, so I had to manipulate the image in Photoshop.
As you can see I’ve had to do some extensions around the lower arm and make extra the fingers. This was done by using a mixture of tools in Photoshop, which I copy small sectors and using the clone tool (Such a brilliant tool!) to blend in. I try my best to make sure the skin tones were the same in order to look like it was real.
The Couple
I wanted to have someone helping rescue this whale and I came across this image of an old couple watering a plant. They look so happy; it was priceless to add this image into the scene. Yet again I made some extensions with the hosepipe and clean up the image. My biggest problem in this scene was to some how animate cut out water and make it look like water is real.
I did some research and play around in how I could pull this off. In the end I used an image of water being pour into a glass of water and cut out a small sector. In after effects I duplicated the image several times and animated the scale and position, back and forth. With the water hitting the surface, I animated the same way but also apply the opacity, to fade onto the surface.
For the background, it was obvious it was going to be on a beach but I wanted to make it a funky British style beach. I added some images like the beach huts and change the hue/saturation. I was going to add a donkey into the scene, however I felt this would distract the viewer, where I wanted them to look at but also it cluttered the scene.
With the news anchorman and the drunken old man, we wanted to use some good quality photo and expression. So Ben and myself decide to take pictures of our expressions and brought that across into after effects, where we could animate the characters. I started to animate the drunken old man and the end result was really pleasing. However, my animation didn’t make it in the final cut, which was disappointing.
Unfortunately, I ran out of time on the newsroom scene and my colleague, Ben Wardle took over and did a great job.
The final outcome of this turn out to be good, even though my animation of the drunken old man didn’t get in the final version. As I said before at the start of the previous blog, it was a challenge to see how far you can go with comedy with scaring your audience.