So been really busy getting this Medusa model done in Maya but I encounter a problem in how we pose Medusa into the scene. Something which wasn’t done during pre. So I decided to put my rigging skills to the test and create my first rig. Now I’ve not made the rig to be animated, just for posing purpose only. So they are some features I’ve left out. Here a test vid, showing the rig working.
It’s the time again where Autodesk wow us with their new features in the new edition of Maya 2015.
I’m really interested in getting my hands on the bifrost new feature in Maya, where you can create realistic water simulations while editing the scene realtime as the simulation is running in the background. Check it out down below.
Other new features include ShaderFX, OpenSubdiv, Enhanced UV Toolset, Enhanced Modeling and many more.
Check out Lesterbanks post for more info.
Ok since I’ve moved my blog to WordPress, uni has gone crazy with the amount of project running. AAAHHHH!!!!
But now I’ve got a month off away from uni, I can now take a step back, look at the big picture and see what needs to be done. So I’ve made a list what I’m going to be doing over easter break, which include redo some of my work. So what this space over the easter period and I’ll be posting some work in progress work.
As my job is finished and the project moves forward, I’ve been assign to model and place existing asset into the interior scene. Here’s a break down vid of what it was before and what it look like now.
Update of the pre-visual work I’ve been doing for this project.
The two vids are from scene 3 and scene 6. Remember this is not the final look and animation, just a rough guide for the director in how the shots work.
Every 2nd year on the animation course gets crew assign to a 3rd year project of their chosen. There are only a few films I actually liked and unfortunately there are only two 3d animation short films; the rest are 2d animation short films. I wanted to work on the heart of the tree because of my skills I can apply to this film. Not only that I really like the style they’re going for. The story is about respect and greed between a hare, hyena and a tree.
My role on this project is to create a pre-visual for scene 3 and scene 6, both scene are internal of the tree.
In scene 3 the hire is allow to explore into the tree secret place and is offer a gift to say thank you. My job was to use a low ploy version of the hire and block out animate quick movements and poses within the scene matching the animatic. In addition to this, I had to set up the cameras, yet again matching the animatic but I was aloud to have some freedom of setting up different camera angles to allow the director and producer to have an option between the shots. This was the same method for scene 6 with the hyena being greedy and eating the berries that hang from vines.
Once the rough block down animation and camera setup is done, I started to import model asset, which have been finish into the scene. Also I stared to model the vines by using a ep curve tool and extrude a cylinder (low ploy) to fill the environment as close to the concept art work.
|Internal concept by Freddie Horton
Currently I’m still modeling extra assets for the environment, which I will post a final version of the pre-visual, in my next post.
For the past couple of weeks, myself and the rest of the team have been really busy in the studio. So now I’ve got a chance to update you on the progress we have done.
The style we’re going for really shrape edges to give that rough look. To everything we model was in polygon, which not only gives us that look we wanted but makes a quick workflow to get the assets done and ready to apply textures to them. Here are some of the models I’ve made on this project.
I wanted to try and animate the characters as best I could even tho there are some quick shots. I used the same techquie for my animation by blocking out the pose first and then do three phares of the animation, with each phares tighting the animating. The shot below was one of my animation I worked on.
For the sea, I used realwave from realflow to produce nice calm motions of the sea. Its been taking a while to simlaute out these shots with the sea but it was worth it. you’ll have to wait for the final rendered shots 😉
Other things I’ve been working on at the moment is ncloth, more animation and making any little adjustments in models.