Group Project Update

For the past couple of weeks, myself and the rest of the team have been really busy in the studio. So now I’ve got a chance to update you on the progress we have done.

Modeling

The style we’re going for really shrape edges to give that rough look. To everything we model was in polygon, which not only gives us that look we wanted but makes a quick workflow to get the assets done and ready to apply textures to them. Here are some of the models I’ve made on this project.

Animation

I wanted to try and animate the characters as best I could even tho there are some quick shots. I used the same techquie for my animation by blocking out the pose first and then do three phares of the animation, with each phares tighting the animating. The shot below was one of my animation I worked on.

Sea

For the sea, I used realwave from realflow to produce nice calm motions of the sea. Its been taking a while to simlaute out these shots with the sea but it was worth it. you’ll have to wait for the final rendered shots  😉

Other things I’ve been working on at the moment is ncloth, more animation and making any little adjustments in models.

Background Project

Films with big landscape CGI footage use a technique, which projects an flat 2D image onto a plane and layer in order the back ground to the foreground. We apply this technique in our background project for 2D and 3D.

The image I created was made in a way where i could play around within both 2D and 3D projection. For 2D I had to use Toomboom to separate each layer, distancing away from the camera, which would create this effect, then I animated onto a new layer in Toomboom to animate the flags. Once I was happy with this, I started to play around with the camera to give me the best result I could have.

For the 3D, it was the same process to separate the layers by using planes with high amount of subdivisions but for the layers to work I had to go into the hypershades to connect a projector node with transparency. This process was for me. However, the rendered shots was completely out of place, where  the settings and setup was done the right way. To overcome this problem, I opened up a new scene in Maya and import the scene and weirdly it worked!

Here the shots I did.

Ident

I want to have a Monty Python theme to my ident with a nice jazz music feel to it. To do this I went into photoshop and cut the logo into different pieces, where I wanted them to animate. To create the falmouth logo and put the letters in place, I used different gesture poses of the hand. For the animation, I want to use toonboom than flash, as toomboom is a more competely package for animating and easy to frame the camera.

Overall I felt I could work on it more to add sound effects and tidy up some of the animation and hands but I was pleased with the result of how it worked together.