In The Works….

Ok since I’ve moved my blog to WordPress, uni has gone crazy with the amount of project running. AAAHHHH!!!!

But now I’ve got a month off away from uni, I can now take a step back, look at the big picture and see what needs to be done. So I’ve made a list what I’m going to be doing over easter break, which include redo some of my work. So what this space over the easter period and I’ll be posting some work in progress work.

Group Project Update

For the past couple of weeks, myself and the rest of the team have been really busy in the studio. So now I’ve got a chance to update you on the progress we have done.

Modeling

The style we’re going for really shrape edges to give that rough look. To everything we model was in polygon, which not only gives us that look we wanted but makes a quick workflow to get the assets done and ready to apply textures to them. Here are some of the models I’ve made on this project.

Animation

I wanted to try and animate the characters as best I could even tho there are some quick shots. I used the same techquie for my animation by blocking out the pose first and then do three phares of the animation, with each phares tighting the animating. The shot below was one of my animation I worked on.

Sea

For the sea, I used realwave from realflow to produce nice calm motions of the sea. Its been taking a while to simlaute out these shots with the sea but it was worth it. you’ll have to wait for the final rendered shots  😉

Other things I’ve been working on at the moment is ncloth, more animation and making any little adjustments in models.

Modelling

I adventure out of the studio in search of ideas and to take reference of a damage item or wall. I came across this stone wall which I thought would be interesting to model and texture, as close I possible can to the real thing. I capture a front, side and, try to, top down view with several close up shots for textures. here are some of the pictures I used for reference.

In Maya I created the image planes and started modelling in low poly, just to get a rough outline look of the stones. Once I was happy with this, I started to used the sculpting tool in Maya. The reason I used Maya than Mudbox was because I found Maya to be more accurate and had more control overall of my models. However, I did use Mudbox once i was done in Maya, to texture the models by using the reference photos to texture and paint onto the models. This work flow was nice and easy, even apply the final touch to the model, was adding a bump map to it. By applying this gave that stand out look in model.

I was really happy of how it turn out, overall.

Group Project Update *Adjusting Morpheus rig and testing for a template.*

Adjusting Morpheus rig and testing for a template.

We decided to use Morpheus Rig V1.0 created by Josh Burton because the rig covers our two main objectives.

1) The rig needed to be customisable.

2) Animator friendly, so no glitchness during the animation phrase.

Thanks to our lecture Georg showing us, not only how customisable the form of the rig was but how we can apply our creative touch and look of the rig as well. This is important for us because we have to make sure the theme and look from our concept artwork remains the same.

As technical director on this project, I wanted to test and make sure the rig is setup to become a template for our artist to come along and painting the rig straight off the bat.

In Maya with the Morpheus loaded, it was time to strip down the rig.

I’d started to remove the head and all of the head controls from the outliner, as we won’t be needing them.

I’d removed the following…

headRNfosterParent1
head_mover_Ctrl
facialRig_deforming_grp
constainMetoNeck_grp_ParentConstraint1
EyeRig_grp
eye_MasterIK_worldspace_loc
Facial_grp

After removing this from the outliner, I’d created a simple cube and parented the neck to the cube. Rotating from the neck was fine but not from the cube. Will need to lock the head from being selected, for animation purposes.

Now I wanted to focus on the texture of the body. This needs to be clear canvas for the artist to paint straight on the rig from Mudbox or from Photoshop.

two UV sets in the editor..

map1
uvSet1

uvSet1 is the uv wrap of the body and map1 is Maya default. I’ve copy the uvset1
to map1 and then deleted uvset1. Maya doesn’t like two uv’s of the same object.

Deleted some of the old materials that we won’t be using, like the eyes and hair
colour. Also clear up the shadergroups as some of them are unnecessary.

I created two lambert matreials on two different shading groups

FIXMEJosh_Marcus_Marcus_FixMe_phongE1SG1
Misss_fast_skin_maya1SG

By applying a new lambert shaders to these groups will allows us to attach a UV
texture or by simple going into Mudbox and paint onto the rig.